TAXI RIJEKA
MENU
About us
Services of our company
Contact
Price list
Vehicles
Events in the City of Rijeka
Cities in Croatia
Town Rijeka
Kvarner Riviera
Region of Istra
Island Cres
Island Krk
Island Pag
Island Rab
Airport Rijeka
Airport Pula
Airport Zagreb
Transfer service
We recommend that you pass to us
Terminal of Rijeka
ACI Marinas
Hotels in Kvarner
Partners - Site Friends
Apartments and travel agency
 RSS - Favorites
 Croatian
 German
 Italian
 Russian

Vehicle reservations on e-mail taxirijeka@net.hr or phone number 00385 91 516 52 36 - Iva 00385 91 500 33 55- Kresimir


Passenger transfers on all routes in Europe and Croatia, the city taxi services, courier services ...

Island of Pag - history

 
 
 
TAXI RIJEKA  SERVICE  -  RIJEKA TAXI SERVICE
RIJEKA - CROATIA     RIJEKA - CROATIA
 
more information taxi service rijeka you can see on web site
                             www.taxi-rijeka.com
 
Taxi service Rijeka - Pag
Taxi service Airport Rijeka - Pag
Taxi service Airport Zagreb - Pag
Taxi service Airport Trst - Pag
 
Order your vehicle for the transfer;  taxirijeka@net.hr
 
 - organize the trip through Island Pag
 - taxi transfers to all destinations Island Pag
 
 
BOOK your vehicle taxirijeka@net.hr
 
OR
PHONE NUMBER       00385 91 516 52 36 - IVA
                                              00385 91 500 33 55 - KRESIMIR
 
 
 
The area of Caska is especially interesting to the enthusiasts of archaeology, history and the historical phenomena. Caska is located to the west end of the bay of Pag. The name refers to a wider area bordered by the beach Zrče on one side, and the villages Zubovići, Kustići, Metajna, collectively known as Barbati, on the other. There are only few houses in the bay of Caska, however, there is a submerged town on its seabed. The historians believe it is a Roman town that sunk because of an earthquake in the 4th century. On the other hand, there are experts claiming Caska was abandoned for the unknown reasons and later cowered by the sea. The opinions about the size of the city differ.

According to some hypothesis, this city had 5 000 inhabitants, but there are historians who believe that 30 000 people were living in Caska. Past archaeological researches have not managed to explain the mystery of Caska. However, in 1964, the field studies led to the discovery of the entrance to the sewage system, which is bigger than the one of the ancient Rome. This led to the conclusion that Caska after all has been a big and important city. The fact that there was a luxurious villa of the known and wealthy senatorial family form Rome, the Calpurnias, is the evidence that Caska has had a special meaning

Nevertheless, there is not enough evidence whether Caska was a Roman town or it had developed much earlier. Caska is important as most probably the first big settlement on the island of Pag.

There is a legend connected with Caska, the only island legend originally preserved in tradition. The legend says Caska was a wealthy town where only good people were living. However, as the riches increased, so people were becoming more and more estranged from the Lord. Therefore, He decided to punish Caska. He sent an angel who, disguised as a stranger, chance traveller, had to find a righteous person who should be saved from the terrifying death that threatened the inhabitants of Caska. The angel witnessed the great sin that dwelled in the town upon his arrival. He found two sisters, Bona and Mala. Bona was the good sister and Mala was the bad one. Bona was the only righteous person in town, so the angel, by order of God, warned her of the arriving events. On the day when Caska had to be punished, he took Bona out of the town far to the south end of the island. Then God dropped fire, strong wind and an earthquake from the sky on Caska. The town sunk in ruins and flames to the seabed and all the gold and diamonds with it. On the south end of the island, Bona found a young shepherd boy and married him. Together they founded a new town - Pag. Thus the legend has it of Caska, the town that lies under the sea, covered in ooze. The remains of the town can be seen diving; however, the biggest part is out of reach because of the huge sediments of ooze, sand and seaweed.Pag, such as we know, emerged between 1443 and 1474. On 18th May, 1443, having gained the permission of the Venice Senate, the townsmen began the construction fearing of the Turks who had penetrated up to Zadar by then. Before that, Pag had already been relocated two times. From the antique times, up to the end of the 4th century, it existed on a locality known as Caska, (Lat. Kissa, Cissa). Caska was submerged after an earthquake, and the people moved to the south, on a site today known as Stari grad (the Old town).

In the 10th century Pag was completely urbanised; it had the city walls, towers, fortresses, squares, churches, monasteries, houses and palaces. The citizens were engaged in trading, fishing, cattle breeding; they were sailors or salt manufacturers. The village of Košljun was used as the town’s port.
According to historical documents, the name Pag was mentioned for the first time in the 10th century. In 976, the king Držislav liberated Pag from the Byzantine authority and appointed a Croatian district Prefect as the administrator of the town. Pag has had its good and bad times alike many Mediterranean towns.
In 1192, the Church of St. Marija was built. Even today, it is the dominant structure in Stari grad. One of the most important events in the history of the town is the receiving of the Bull of the king Bela IV that granted Pag the status of the Royal Borough, on 30th March 1244. Afterwards, Pag has experienced a considerable economic growth.
The life in Pag was based on the common law codex. The citizens were longing for their autonomy and were struggling for it by any means. The prominent figure was Belota Dobronić, a judge who tried to realize the idea of the legal and economical independence of Pag on the General Croatian Convention in Nin, in 1396.

In 1376, the Croatian king Ludovik I confirmed the existing privileges of the Royal Borough to Pag, and granted it some new ones.
In 1403, the king Ladislav sold his share of Dalmatia, Pag included, to Venice and thus sentenced Pag to a centuries-long life under the Venetian rule.
In 1433 Pag received the Town Statute, one of the first documents of that sort in Croatia.
In the middle of the 15th century, Turkish threat kept rising and therefore the inhabitants of Pag decided to build a new town. The construction works began on today’s location of the town, on 18th May 1443. The urban plans of the new town were developed in Venice respecting the principles of architecture and urbanism of that time. Juraj Dalmatinac, a great constructor and sculptor participated in the development of the urban plan.
On 18th September 1474, the citizens of Pag carried the miraculous Holly Cross in a big procession on their way towards the new town. The duke of Pag leaded the procession.

The charter written in the honour of the foundation of the new town says:

“In the name of the living God and the true Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, because without calling on them no beginning is worthily founded, it is the unanimous opinion of all the citizens of Pag that this town should be relocated to the port Katena, to the glory of God and the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint Marko the Evangelist, Saint Juraj the Martyr and all the Saints; in honour and pride of our Most High Monarch and His Illustrious Highness, Francesco Foscario, the famous dodge of Venice by the Grace of God, and the whole our mighty government of Venice, under whose auspices are these foundations and the peace and safety of the noblemen and common people of this country and this island. Let there be laid the foundations of the churches and monasteries for holding the church service, above all for the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The honourable gentlemen, reverends Vulkozije Grubonia, higher priest and Blaž Martinia, Pag’s chancellor; gentleman Dišman Diševie, of the late Luka and gentleman Blaž Diškovia who is going to make the note of all the legal works in connection to the mentioned construction, namely the gathered money which is going to be spent and paid out, were chosen by the town council of Pag to supervise the construction of the church.
The building of this church was initiated on Saturday, 18th May 1443, around 3 p.m. The reverend father in Christ and a gentleman, Laurencije Venerije, the archbishop of Zadar and our metropolitan by the mercy of God and the Apostolic Chair, consecrated the foundation stone, all the while accompanied by the prayers of the clergy, and a procession of the common people. The construction of the town, started immediately afterwards, at 4 p. m. This is documented in the foundations of the big tower beside the transversal gate. The esteemed gentleman Petar Faletro, laid the first stone and the reverend Marget laid the second one; each of them humbly praying the Lord, whose name we called on at the beginning so that these constructions, initiated by His power and mercy, would be completed in the same manner and protected forever and ever. Amen.”

The mighty and powerful walls, fortified by nine towers, were surrounding Pag and were defending it from all kinds of attacks. These circumstances provided peace to the people and prosperity to the town. This is the period of establishing economic contacts between Pag and the other districts. At the same time, many townsmen were studying at the Universities all over the Europe.
In spite the resettling, the citizens of Pag have never forgotten Stari grad. In 1589, the Franciscans built their monastery on that location, whose remains still exist.
On the Feast of the Assumption, people go to Stari grad to say prayers to the miraculous statue of the Mother of God of Stari grad. This miraculous statue is carried in a solemn procession to Pag, to the Church of the Assumption from where it returns to its sanctuary on the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, every 7th September.
For centuries, the city government has been headed by a duke, elected from among dignitaries and appointed by the central government of Venice. The noble families of Pag, like Mišolić, Zorović, Portada, Jadrulić and especially Mirković, have had the important influence on the cultural and economic lives in town. Their palaces were the symbols of power, wealth and general prosperity of the town.
During the Croatian reformation, as the result of building up the national consciousness in Pag, the Croatian Party of Rights and the Croatian People’s Party were growing stronger. In 1882, the Croatian People’s Party won the majority of voices at the elections and Nikola Portada was elected the major.


TAXI RIJEKA  SERVICE  -  RIJEKA TAXI SERVICE
RIJEKA - CROATIA     RIJEKA - CROATIA
 
more information taxi service rijeka you can see on web site
                             www.taxi-rijeka.com
 
Taxi service Rijeka - Pag
Taxi service Airport Rijeka - Pag
Taxi service Airport Zagreb - Pag
Taxi service Airport Trst - Pag
 
Order your vehicle for the transfer;  taxirijeka@net.hr
 
 - organize the trip through Island Pag
 - taxi transfers to all destinations Island Pag
 
 
BOOK your vehicle taxirijeka@net.hr
 
OR
PHONE NUMBER       00385 91 516 52 36 - IVA
                                              00385 91 500 33 55 - KRESIMIR



►  Island Pag  - Friday, June 5, 2009
  |   Print   |   Home

  

Copyright©2008-2010. by Transfer service - All rights reserved.
Taxi Croatia - Taxi Rijeka Airport - Design & Hosting & Cms
Taxi Transfers Croatia

Click here to contact us!