On the path of the town of history and culture
Regardless the motive of your arrival in Krk, we belive that the town itself will invite you to apply to it, to get your attention to it. Before you decide to go for a walk trough the town of Krk, you should be aware of an important fact: for sure, Krk will not admire you with a luxurious architecture of its palaces. It prefers to invite you to its simplicity founded inside the walls. It will show you the ecclesiastical interiors you must know and remember, it will lead you through the intricate archaeology of its underground.
There is a common question we should ask also here: since when is Krk? If the fragments of ceramics founded along the western and eastern side of the town walls, but outside the town, are taken for criterion, it becomes obvious that the town of Krk was surrounded by the walls for centuries before Christ and that the citizens of Krk carried the rests of the broken vessels outside the town.
One of the answers about the origins of Krk is certainly the archeological finding underneath the main square at the end of XX. century. The ancient town walls from III. and IV. century before Christ with much recent roman town walls from IV. century above, can be seen here. The roman part of the walls was built of the decorated stone from the Venus temple. Obviously, the construction took place during hard times: there was not enough time to choose what to destroy to built the defence wall. The art against barbarians is what you can learn about standing on this place.
And above this finding, on the main square, there is an inscription on the stone from the IV. century. Among the others, there is a sentence: splendidissima civitas Curictarum, meaning the splendid city of the roman tribe Kurykta.
For sure, there are more and more possibilities to answer the initial question about the origins of Krk. For the last here, we choose the names of the town during the past as they are written on the column on the main square. Strabon called it Kiriatika, Porfirogenet gave to it the name Vecla – meaning the old town. When they came in this places, Croatians named it Krk, but they wrote the word in the traditional alphabet called glagoljica: k r k. Veglia was the name of the town during the venetian domination. It is interesting that veglia is the word derived from Latin vigilia, meaning vigilance. And one that keeps been vigil is the owl. So, this is the reason why this bird flew into the coat of arm of the town of Krk. Finally, as the last word on the column we read Krk written as we, contemporary, know.
So, let us go to discover the layers of life in the town.
The Small Town Gate
The Gate was previously located at the southern end of the Cardo in the town wall behind the Bishop' Residence. Due to strong winds and the westerly extension of the Bishop's Residence, the Gate was moved to its present location in the 14th century. There used to be a small pier in front of this Gate, which served as a fishermen's entrance.
The baths belonged to the Roman municipality Curicum and were built in two phases during the 2nd and 4th centuries. They were located at the western end of Decumanus Maximus. Parts of a pool with a black and white floor mosaic depicting Triton at a feast have been preserved.
The baths from the 1st century are a legacy of the Roman municipality Curicum. They are located at the southern end of the Cardo. One pool and parts of other rooms have been preserved. An excercise ground, which is today's Kamplin square, was part of the complex.
The Krk diocese was first mentioned in the 7th century. It is assumed that the eastern section of the building was constructed at the same time as the cathedral. Andrija was the first bishop known by his name, bishop Andrija, not as the Krk Bishop.
The Old Slavic Academy
The Academy was founded by Bishop Antun Mahnič in 1902, focusing upon the study of Old Slavic and Glagolitic script. Josip Vas, a distiniguished Czech Slavist and university professor from Prague, worked at the Academy for four years. The Academy was in existence till 1918. The present day Old Slavic Institute in Zagreb is continuing its work.
The Kurykta printing house
Established by bishop Antun Mahnič in 1899. Old Slavic publications in Latin and Glagolitic, as well as the periodicals 'Croatian Watch' and 'People's Friend' were printed here. The printing press was in operation till 1919 when it was destroyed by D'Annunzio's Arditi.
Originally a three-naved early Christian basilica from the 5th century, erected upon the remains of Roman baths. The baptistry was located by the Cathedral. Today's three-naved Romanesque Cathedral from the 12th century has been reconstructed and expanded a number of times.
An exceptional example of Romanesque architecture, built of local stone. This three-naved church is our only old church located one flight up. It was connected to the Cathedral and served as its matroneum – the area where women were seated during mass.
A rare and genuine two-naved Romanesque structure. The central axis lies in the north-south direction, contrary to the usual east-west orientation. It is known for its splendid acoustics.
THE CATHEDRAL'S BELL TOWER
The Cathedral got its first bell tower in the 16th century. In 1767 the pointed top was replaced with a baroque cupola with a wooden angel. Today's polyester angel was put up in 1973.
The Francopan Castle
The Frankopan fortification was built from the 12th to the 14th century, as stated in reports by Venetian proveditors. It served as the town’s defence from naval attacks, while its square tower functioned as a court house.
Words preserved from the Veljot dialect, meaning Big Street. Veljot was a dialect of the Roman Dalmatian language. It became extinct at the end of the 19th century with the death of its last speaker, Anton Udina Barbura.
The first connecting point of Decumanus and the Northern Town Gate, mentioned under this name in a document from 1502. It is also called St. Joseph's street after the chapel of the same name located there.
The Big house
This two- story building with an arched passage over the street was first mentioned in 1538. The statue of the Madonna with child in the niche is called Madonetta by the town people. The location, therefore, became known as Madonetta.
The Prince’s residence
also known as the Frankopan home. There are indications that the Prince’s residence was located at the Pjanka crossing, although there is no written evidence of this. The size of the building and the immediate vicinity of noblemen's homes lead to the conclusion that this was the Frankopans' residence.
A small square at the crossing of two major streets, Decumanus Maximus and Galija. This miniature square is the location of two important buildings: the home of the Frankopan princes on the southern side and the house of the noble family Cetinic on the western side.
The Cetinić houses
Three renaissance buildings with the family coats of arms, connected with an arched passage. The noble family Cetinic was mentioned in Krk in 1431. The well from 1655 is decorated with the family coat of arms.
(17th century), also called Our Lady of Carmel. It is one of the three chapels preserved within the town walls. Many chapels in the old town were abandoned towards the end of Venetain rule.
The Mitis house
A lamb from the family's coat of arms is engraved in stone above the doorway. The lamb symbolises mildness, a sentiment connoted by the family name (latin mitis=mild). The front windows are decorated with practical stone projections with openings.
The Celebrini house
The Celebrini house is a three-storey building with a groundfloor and two upper floors. The facade has baroque elements. The Celebrini family appeared in Krk around 1700. During the Astro-hungarian rule this was the seat of the district court.
This square is an extended crossing of two Roman streets, the Cardo and Decumanus Maximus. It was the centre of the original town. Romans called it the 'Old Square”, thus it is believed that it was already here in Liburnian times.
Following the ground plan of roman cities, this street connects the town's north and south points. Krk's Cardo runs from the upper gate to the bishop's residence, where the southern gate was previously located. It is one of the two main axes of the old town.
The Krk Inscription
The inscribed stone slab dates from the the 11th century. It was found at this location and was a building cornerstone. The inscription: 'This was written by abbot Maj and Radonja, Rugota, and Dobroslav' alludes to the construction of the former Benedictine Abbey of St. John.
The Nave house
The house has a stylized baroque façade with typical baroque windows and thresholds. The section with romanesque and gothic elements indicates that two buildings were connected at one time. The well bears the inscription 1694.
The school was built in 2005 fusing an urban structure and a sacred complex. Of
particular importance in the design were the town walls, which form a coherent unit with the school building. Fragments of a well from Antiquity were found during construction and are now on display in one of the classrooms.
Square of the Glagolitic Monks
It is at the merging point of two parallel streets: the Cardo and Galija. Traces of Illyrian and Roman pottery were found at the site. This elevated area has always been a holy location, therefore it is also called 'The Little Vatican”.
The Upper Town Gate
The Upper Town Gate gate led to Roman Fulfinium and further on to the Roman road to Dalmatia. It was first mentioned in the 12th century. The frame and upper part of the structure were removed in the first half of the 19th century.
Our Lady of health
A three-naved romanesque church originally belonging to a Benedictine monastery from the 11th century. The church was initially dedicated to St. Michael. The present name was given to the church in the 19th century in order to protect the town during a cholera epidemic. The bell tower topping the western facade dates from the same period as the church.
Franciscan monks were mentioned in Krk as early as 1277. The monastery was originally part of the northern defence wall. The east wing was constructed in 1910 as a seminary. The monastery houses a painting of the Madonna and Child, a work of the Renaissance painter Vittoreo Carpaccio.
Church of St. Francis
Gothic church from the 13th century. Today's sacristy was the main area of the church in the past. The bell tower was added later and the upper part not until the 18th century.
The Benedictine Convent
The 13th century convent expanded gradually. The area around the church was added first. The northeast and south wing were built later. The nuns ran an Italian elementary school here from 1806 to 1903.
Church of the Benedictine Nuns
The church was first mentioned as 'Our Lady of Angels' in the 14th century. Baroque elements were added in the 18th century, when Sebastijan Petrucci from Rijeka designed the main altar. The adjoining bell tower is within the convent walls.
ST. ANN'S CHAPEL
During the Middle Ages fraternities and patrician families established chapels in town of Krk. St. Ann's Chapel is one of the town's three chapels still in existence today.
Blind alleys are referred to as Androna in historical records. The name is of Greek origin. The town people still use the modified version of the word, Londrona.
Vela Placa (Big Square)
The only square in town that has always retained the characteristics of a square. It was first mentioned in 1263. The six-sided well dates from the 16th century. There is a most interesting archaeological site under the square. Among the findings is the oldest part of the town wall from 4th-3rd century B.C.
According to Roman town plans, this street connects the town's eastern and western points. Krk's Decumanus connects the Pisana Gate with the Main Town Square and Gate.
The word is preserved from the Veljot dialect. It is derived from the Latin pluvia. It denotes rain and the steep incline where the rain water drains off.
The 15th century tower was built for free by the islanders with the town gate
incorporated into the bottom part. The east wall is adorned with the coats of arms of doge Augustin Barbariga. Below is a 24-hour clock, first mentioned in 1538.
The Main Town Gate
When the town was surrounded by walls this gate became the main entrance to the town from the seaside. The gate was originally located further south, at the end of Decumanus Maximus. The gate and town square were first mentioned in 1350.
The Town Walls
The old part of the town is surrounded by walls which are preserved to date. The different layers bear witness to many historical periods from Illyrian times to the fall of Venice. The walls were first mentioned in the 1st century B.C. The last major reconstruction took place at the end of the 15th century.
Is located at the intersection of the southern and western walls. The inscription and coat of arms indicate that the tower was built by the order of Nikola Frankopan in 1407. The inscription was carved into a Roman tombstone from the 1st century.
Pier by the Bishop's Residence
The pier and surrounding waterfront section were built in 1913. The pier is perpendicular to the breakwater, giving additional protection from northernly winds. Together with the breakwater, it forms the town harbour.
Pier near the park
The Krk statute notes that 'all cargo must be unloaded on the town pier and brought into town through the main gate.' The pier was repaired in the 15th century. The costs were covered by all islanders.
The name is derived from the Italian corso, meaning 'to flow', as Krušija is located at the mouth of an underground stream. Up to the 20th century, women would come here to rinse bucketfuls of laundry, gracefully carried on their heads.
The porporela breakwater was first mentioned in a document from 1554 sent to the Venetian Doge from the Proveditor Girardo Maphei. Maphei expressed the need for the construction of a breakwater to protect the harbour from southerly winds.
St. Lucy's chapel
The chapel was first mentioned in 1424, although experts believe it is of early Christian origin, specifically because of its walls. The pilasters and vault are pre-romanesque.
St. Rocco's chapel
the chapel was built by canon marchese in 1515. it is preserved in its orginal shape with the apse and loggia at the front. it is dedicated to st.rocco, the patron of plague victims.
TAXI TRANSFER SERVICE ZAGREB AIRPORT TO KRK 167EUR.
TAXI TRANSFER SERVICE TRST AIRPORT KRK 130EUR.
TAXI TRANSFER SERVICE RIJEKA TO KRK 50EUR
- organize the trip through Island Krk
- taxi transfers to all destinations Island Krk
- taxi service on the route Omisalj, Njivice, Malinska, Krk, Punat, Baska
TAXI RIJEKA SERVICE - RIJEKA TAXI SERVICE
RIJEKA - CROATIA RIJEKA - CROATIA