TAXI RIJEKA
MENU
About us
Services of our company
Contact
Price list
Vehicles
Events in the City of Rijeka
Cities in Croatia
Town Rijeka
Kvarner Riviera
Region of Istra
Island Cres
Island Krk
Island Pag
Island Rab
Airport Rijeka
Airport Pula
Airport Zagreb
Transfer service
We recommend that you pass to us
Terminal of Rijeka
ACI Marinas
Hotels in Kvarner
Partners - Site Friends
Apartments and travel agency
 RSS - Favorites
 Croatian
 German
 Italian
 Russian

Vehicle reservations on e-mail taxirijeka@net.hr or phone number 00385 91 516 52 36 - Iva 00385 91 500 33 55- Kresimir


Passenger transfers on all routes in Europe and Croatia, the city taxi services, courier services ...

Island Krk - Taxi Rijeka from / to Baska

TAXI RIJEKA  SERVICE  -  RIJEKA TAXI SERVICE
RIJEKA - CROATIA     RIJEKA - CROATIA

TAXI TRANSFER SERVICE ZAGREB AIRPORT FROM / TO BASKA  
TAXI TRANSFER SERVICE TRST AIRPORT FROM / TO BASKA 
TAXI TRANSFER SERVICE  RIJEKA FROM / TO KRK 
 
- organize the trip through Island Krk
 - taxi transfers to all destinations Island Krk
 - taxi service on the route Omisalj, Njivice, Malinska, Krk, Punat, Baska
 
BOOK your vehicletaxirijeka@net.hr
 
OR
PHONE NUMBER       00385 91 516 52 36 - IVA
                                              00385 91 500 33 55 - KRESIMIR
 
PLACES OF BASKA
 
  
 
History
 
Archaeological cave sites bear proof that Baška was inhabited in prehistoric times.

The ancient inhabitants were the Illyrians, mainly the Iapod tribe. A Roman settlement by the sea  developed in the same area that was inhabited by the Illyrian tribes in the 2nd century B.C., but Baška  grew into a settlement later, in 418 A.D., on the hill of St.John which overlooks today’s resort. Baška as a fortified castle was first mentioned in 1232 (Castelum Besca).

Baška shares its past with the rest of the island. Following the Illyrian period and Roman times, it came under the rulership of Byzantium and later under Hungaro-Croatian sovereignty. Halfway through the middle ages, after the end of the rule of the mighty Krk Frankopan Knights, the island was ruled by Venice, Austria, and also Napoleon’s Illyrians.

With the fall of Napoleon, Baška and Krk are once more under the rulership of Austria till the end of World War 1 (1918) when the island was incorporated in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

After the end of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in 1991, Baška became a part of the Republic of Croatia.

Since 1994, it has been an independent municipality on the Island of Krk (together with five other Municipalities and the town of Krk).

 INTERESTING SIGHTS

Baška has a great many cultural features of interest, from old buildings and palaces to sacral monuments. We have chosen some of the most important ones.
 

THE PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

This is the biggest church in the Baška area. It was built in Baroque style at the beginning of the 18th century (in 1723) and the interior holds eight altars, one dedicated to the Holy Trinity.

The pictures that decorate the church are works of well-known painters: Fran Jurić of the 18th century, the Venetians Paulo Campso of the 16th century and Jacopo Palma the Younger of the 17th century.
The church houses a valuable gift from the Princes of Krk, the Frankopans, an artistically crafted silver cross.
The bell tower is 28 m high, and dates from 1766.




THE CHURCH OF ST.JOHN THE BAPTIST

This was the first parish church in the valley, from the 11th century. Its bell tower houses the oldest bell in the area from 1431, called “The Old Man”. The church was abandoned at the beginning of the 19th century, and later restored after an epidemic of cholera. There is a cemetery by the church, where the local people have been buried for centuries.




THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY MOTHER AT GORICA

The church was built at the beginning of the 15th century and its interior is decorated with altar paintings by Celestin Medović. It is also known for its bell from 1594, which tolls traditionally when the settlements in the valley are visited by the bishop of Krk.
The church was named after the hummock “Goričica” in Jurandvor, where it was first built.
The Holy Mother at Gorica is the most celebrated Marian shrine in the diocese of Krk.

 




THE BAŠKA TABLET

The BaškaTablet is a national monument, significant for the Croatian nation. It is a glagolitic inscription, a document consisting of 13 lines carved in stone. The text documents a donation of the Croatian king Zvonimir (1075-1089) to the church of St.Lucy in Jurandvor, where the Baška Tablet was found inserted in the church floor.
It was found  by Petar Dorčić, the local priest, in 1851.
Following is Vjekoslav Štefanić’s interpretation of the text:

 

 



White limestone,
199 x 99,5 x 9 cm


1100. In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. I, abbot Držiha, write about the land given to St.Lucy by Zvonimir, the Croatian king, in his days. Witnesses are Desimir, the prefect of Krbava, Martin in Lika, Pribineža, delegate in Vinodol, and Jacob fom the island. If this is denied by anyone, may he be cursed by God and the 12 apostles and 4 evangelists and St.Lucy. Amen. May those who live here, pray to God for them. I, abbot Dobrovit built this church with my nine brethren  in the time of Prince Kuzma who ruled his county. In those days, Mikula in Otočac was together with St.Lucy (=the churches / monasteries of St.Nicholas in Otočac and of St.Lucy were under the same authority).
 

INFO- BAŠĆANSKA PLOČA SV LUCIJA-JURANDVOR

“AZ” – agencija za kulturu i turizam, Jurnadvor b.b.
tel/fax: ++385 51 860 184




THE CHURCH OF ST.LUCY IN JURANDVOR

The church was built on the remains of an early Christian church at the turn of the 12th to 13th century. It is the most significant church, not only in the area and on the island, but in Croatia, as the famous and invaluable Baška Tablet from the year 1100 was found there. The church houses a copy of the original tablet.
The main altar is decorated with a wooden polyptych, the work of masters Luke and John, sons of Paolo Veneziano, from the 14th century. The original polyptych is kept in the bishop’s residence in Krk.




THE BAŠKA GLAGOLITIC PATH - BGS

is dedicated to glagolitics and all glagolitic writers throughout history. It is a Croatian historical primer from a to ?.
The aim behind the project is to construct a long-lasting memorial, which will teach visitors about the cultural-historical significance and values of the area, and also the history of Croatian statehood. This will be carried out in the Baška valley, the area where the Baška table was discovered – the document about Croatian statehood from 1100 A.D.
In this project a path made out of stone sculptures is being created, that in the end will stretch from the Treskavac pass all the way to the old pier in Baška harbour. This path won’t be in a straight line, since all the sculptures will be located beside important cultural, and historical landmarks or significant natural areas. There will be 34 stone sculptures with sculpted glagolitic letters; four of larger dimensions, and the work of the academic sculptor Ljubo De Karine, and thirty taking smaller dimensions, which will be created during the Baška sculptors workshop.
The mentor and artistic director of the project is Ljubo De Karina. The project will take between 4 to 5 years to complete. Within this series of sculptures, there will be a 35th one, which will be a sculpture dedicated to glagolitics and glagolitic writers. All the sculptures will be adorned with a brass plaque. This will be placed on the sculpture’s plinth and will show the traditional letter of the sculpture, the name of the sculptor, the Latin translation of the letter, an inscription in Braille, and the name of the person whose donation funded the sculpture. The BGS project was started by the Sinjali Association from Baška, and is expected to finish in 2010.





THE BAŠKA HERITAGE  MUSEUM

It was opened in 1970, and contains an ethnographic collection of the Baška area.

It has Baška’s folk costume, old crockery and kitchen utensils on display.

There is also a memorial room of Dr Zdenka Čermakova (1884-1968), the famed Czech woman physician who spent her working life in Baška as the local physician. Since 1997, the Baška Heritage Museum has been cooperating with the Brittenau Heritage Museum, Vienna.

The museum can be visited in the afternoon hours in the summer months.




FOLK COSTUMES AND CUSTOMS IN BAŠKA

The folk costume of Baška reflects the everyday life of its people in the past.

Men wore black trousers, white cotton socks, a white shirt, short black jacket and a long tube-shaped blue cap.

Women wore wide lively multi-coloured skirts and dark blouses with scarves over the shoulders. Their heads were skillfully wrapped in yellow scarves. Girls dressed in bright colours, while married women were restricted to dark colours.

Naturally, these clothes are  not worn anymore, but thanks to the local cultural club “Šoto” from Baška and their activities, the folk costumes can be seen at their performances which are held  regularly in the summer months.

Many of the local customs in Baška are connected with holidays, church festivals or various events from people’s lives.




MRGARI

are dry wall buildings that take the shape of stone flowers, and are intended for the temporary collection and classification of sheep that are owned by different people. During the year, the sheep get mixed up since they graze freely on the heights that encircle the valley of Baška. Mrgari are around more than ten metres, and the largest one can hold up to 1500 sheep. A few times a year shepherds carry out the joint activity of classifying the sheep. This is when they look at and separate their own flock into small mrgarice that look like petals, and encircle the central mrgara or “pen”.

These beautiful examples of local architecture can only be found on the southern most point of the Island of Krk, and the uninhabited neighbouring island of Prvić. There are around 15 in total and most of them are still in use. There are only two other places in Europe where similar constructions can be found – Great Britain (Wales) and Iceland.

TAXI TRANSFER SERVICE ZAGREB AIRPORT FROM / TO BASKA  
TAXI TRANSFER SERVICE TRST AIRPORT FROM / TO BASKA 
TAXI TRANSFER SERVICE  RIJEKA FROM / TO KRK  
 
- organize the trip through Island Krk
 - taxi transfers to all destinations Island Krk
 - taxi service on the route Omisalj, Njivice, Malinska, Krk, Punat, Baska
 
BOOK your vehicletaxirijeka@net.hr
 
OR
PHONE NUMBER       00385 91 516 52 36 - IVA
                                              00385 91 500 33 55 - KRESIMIR
 
 TAXI RIJEKA  SERVICE  -  RIJEKA TAXI SERVICE
RIJEKA - CROATIA     RIJEKA - CROATIA
 



►  Island Krk  - Saturday, April 25, 2009
  |   Print   |   Home

  

Copyright©2008-2010. by Transfer service - All rights reserved.
Taxi Croatia - Taxi Rijeka Airport - Design & Hosting & Cms
Taxi Transfers Croatia

Click here to contact us!